|11 Reasons Why NBA Should Extend Brand to World
Indoor Soccer (Futsal)
By Tim Sheldon
The National Basketball Association is connecting with Futsal, and it is creating a
synergy that will have a huge impact in soccer in this country.
Donnie Nelson of the NBA Dallas Mavericks is spearheading the development of the
Professional Futsal League, along with U.S. Futsal Coach Keith Tozer, and in Phoenix
Rosario Lopez has been talking with the NBA Phoenix Suns about developing pro Futsal.
About a year ago, I talked with Victor Beceiro, former director of Futsal for FIFA, and
he said at that time that the NBA would be an ideal connection for Futsal because of the
logistics and organizational skills they already have in place. After talking with
Beceiro, I began investigating the idea and found significant evidence to support a
connection with the NBA. I concluded that Beceiro was right. Futsal is the World Indoor
Game and has great potential worldwide, and the NBA could play a role in that.
Here are 11 reasons why the NBA could extend its brand to World Indoor Soccer:
1. At the time I checked it, the Federation Internationale de Football Association
(FIFA) was listed as one of the NBA's top three competitors, along with Major League
Baseball and Major League Soccer.
2. The NBA has the arenas and other logistical support. They could drop a Pro
Futsal league right in.
3. It would be a great business expansion opportunity and diversification of
investments for the NBA.
See "Definitive Plan for Expanding the NBA Abroad"
4. The NBA has the league organization skills. They could lay the groundwork for a
new Pro Futsal league in a very short time, almost overnight.
128 Current Players have NBA D=League Experience
5. The NBA has TV connections. The same TV setups for basketball would
work for Futsal. TV replays would be essential and entertaining since Futsal is so
6. The NBA has sponsorship connections, some of whom have already connected
7. It would create the opportunity for the NBA to reach out worldwide
and connect more with global sports in both Basketball and Futsal. The last time we
checked, NBA Global had 138 offices worldwide.
8. As an example of a potential advertising link, see the Nike Ronaldinho
Futsal Ad at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4paCPtVkio&feature=related.
9. As an example of the skill level of Futsal, see Falcao, the World's
Greatest Futsal Player at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwkhh-cd-E0
10. The National Basketball Association (NBA) has extended its marketing
partnerships with Nike.
How the National Basketball Association Put the Bounce in Basketball
"That model is even performing strongly beyond America's borders,
where basketball is making a serious run at soccer, the most global of sports in terms of
fan popularity and participation."
11. NBA cities are culturally diverse and would have a great following for
This is very compelling evidence that the NBA and Pro Futsal would create a great sports
synergy, and we look forward to seeing this synergy develop worldwide.
It's happening as we speak.
Copyright Tim Sheldon and futsalonline.com. All rights reserved.